Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving musings

it's thanksgiving again, that most pure of all holidays. it's not a holiday to celebrate some long dead person or commemorate an event (well, theoretically it is to commemorate an event, but since that event was the First Thanksgiving, it's actually commemorating itself, and that event was mostly fictional anyway, so there it is). Its a holiday whose principle purpose is to foist upon us an occasion to take a deep breath, eat some good food, spend some time in the company of those we love, and think about how good we've got it. Cause really, no matter what your problems are, if you got food, a table, and people who love you, then you've got all your basics covered. anything beyond that is just icing on the cake. or whipped cream on the pie, as it were.

so in that spirit of "wow, my life is really pretty good," here are some of the things for which i'm thankful, in no particular order...


flat water on cold mornings
hot showers
my friends, for keeping me sane (you know who you are)
my enemies, for keeping me on my toes (you know who you are. fuckers.)
the means and opportunities that brought me to this place in my life, which is good
bubblewrap
strawberry milkshakes, the food of the gods
my parents' uncontrollable horniness, without which i wouldn't be here
anti-inflammatory medication
all things counter, original, spare, strange
furry quadrupeds
soaring, vaulted, exulted music; the kind that makes your heart explode with painful jubilation
crunchy leaves
Old English poetry


what are you lot thankful for? add your thoughts to the comments.

5 comments:

ZB said...

That I gave her a false name and address...

hendrix said...

Ok here goes - sorry if it gets soppy

Being alive - so long as you got that you're doing ok.
My family (in which I obviously include F and the real hendrix cat) - they're all arrogant, twisted, obstinate, disfunctional fuckers but I love them (even the ones I don't talk to) and wouldn't have them any other way.
Vintage costume jewellery - because we all need sparklies
My knitted patchwork blanket - 4 foot square of unadulterad comfort
Asda tiramisu ice=cream - only discovered it last night but its going to be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
My ipod - Now I have a soundtrack to everything I do.
My goddaughter A (and my adopted goddaughter R) for reminding me that self confidence is merely repetition, that telling it like it is can be great fun and the importance of impractical shoes.
Impractical shoes - because they make me feel like a fairy princess (not easy at 5 foot 9)
All guitars in the house (8 at last count) - even though I can't play a note they are things of beauty and joy forever.
Weather. Good bad or indifferent I love it and while we're on the subject - the smell of wet soil
Words. The sheer joy of language (except for those who write crappy books about the "modern condition" - they should be shot)

that will do for now I think - this is getting too new age for me!

Moominmama said...

thanks for sharing, guys. anyone else...?

ps. i would like to add: the smell of a greenhouse in february (your wet soil reminded me).

ZB said...

The smell of Grandad Smiths greenhouse in high summer when the tomatoes were ripe.

ZB said...

A cats paw pads resting on your closed eyelids.

The living vibrant surge of the boat when everybody picks up and goes cleanly, smoothly and with teeth.

Realising that songs are just a handful of chords and a handful of words in the same place at the same time.

Realising that you can write your heroes under the table even if nobody ever hears them.

Good friends and family. They know who they are.

Lying with her body weight on me, feeling my head spin as I breathe in the warm scent of her skin and hair, feeling her melt into me and realising a million years later that I don't know where she ends and where I begin and that I don't care, I'm home, I'm where I need to be, I'm with who I need to be with and she feels the same.