Tuesday, December 06, 2005

the life span of karma

i did race on sunday. i made it throught w/o crabbing. (couldn't carry the boat after, but that's ok -- i made my coach do it!) resting the ol' digits now. i don't know how we did; we left before they posted the results and they're not online yet, grumble grumble.

contrary to the weather forcast, it was clear, sunny, and still. great day for a race. the best part wasn't the weather though, nor was it my managing to hang on to the oar for 4.5K. no, the best part was a dash of shadenfreude. (you remember shadenfreude, don't you? that wonderful german word that means to take pleasure in the misfortunes of others. great word, shadenfreude.)

as we were rigging the boat, i noticed my bow woman, H, wearing 2 silver rings on her hand. i said, incredulously, "you wear rings while you're rowing?" (this is rarely a good idea, as it's just begging for horrendous blisters.)

h replied, very snottily, "well of course not these rings. these are really expensive rings. i never wear these rings rowing. this one cost 50 pounds, and this one was 70 pounds, so i don't row in them."

i had no response to this, except to roll m eyes. apparently she doesn't know that cheap rings are just as likely to give you blisters as dear rings (and c'mon, 50 quid isn't all that expensive for a ring. 500 quid; now that's an expensive ring.) and what kind of snotty ass child runs around proclaiming how much things cost? jesus, i havn't encountered that since i was about 11. so i rolled my eyes tightened my top nut.

after the race, after our debriefing and flapjacks and derigging, as we were getting ready to go, there was a blonde scream. (have you ever noticed that you can tell a blonde by the way they scream? it's true.) it was h. "where are my rings?!?!?!?! Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

poor dear looked frantically through her pockets, her bag, everyone else's bags, on the ground, in the trailer, in the van, in the weeds, under the dog, everywhere. her rings were not to be found. i almost wet myself with laughter. terrible of me, i know, but really, she so had it coming. and while i believe in karma, it usually takes a lot longer than 3 hours to take effect. that was the shortest karma-cycle i've ever witnessed. i don't mind telling you, it was fabulous.

7 comments:

ZB said...

500-00 quid is an expensive ring? Hells bells girl, you can't get a decent chunk of gold for that price let alone a chunk of gold hammered into a good design and well made. As for a diamond, unless you go to Amsterdam, you can't get a decent diamond for under a grand...

Moominmama said...

been ring shopping, have we?

ZB said...

Yes. The girl who I marry is going to get a diamond the size of the ritz.

Paperback edition.

Moominmama said...

Did you know that the whole concept of the diamond engagement ring is the most successful marketing scam in history? At the beginning of the 20th century, rubies, emeralds, and saphires were much more popular in rings. It was DeBeer's, the multinational company that controls something like 90% of the world's diamond mines, that put forth the idea that "a diamond is forever" and only a diamond (and a big one) will suffice for true love. 100 years later they've got us so well programmed we view diamond rings as synnonymous with love and mandatory for marraige. And DeBeer's are evil fuckers. I'd like an opal ring just to stick it to them. (And opals are awfully pretty.)

ZB said...

Hun, when I get married, it's gonna be a plain gold band. That's all I need. A piece of super compressed carbon just doesn't do it for me.

However, the women I know might disagree.

Moominmama said...

super-compressed carbon does it for me, but only when it's formed in the hands of the man proposing, like supermand did in Superman II. or was it superman III? anywho, it was dead romantic.

hendrix said...

I absolutely hate diamonds unless they're over a centimetre, (actually I hate all precious stones unless they're bling sized -I can't see the point of discreet jewellery) so I guess that puts me over the £500 mark. Personally I'm with CB on this one. You can;t beat a good black opal( Coober Pedy mines do the nest sort) or the mexican fire opals are wonderfully pretty too.

In the main though I never wear jewelry I buy vintage costume jewelry by the truck load. It's draped over pretty much every surface of the house!