Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Pibs, tags, and VDs

First of all, if you're not a regular Pibgorn reader (and you should be), do nothing else until you have read today's strip. Brooke is beginning a new storyline today, so this is a good point to jump in. And if this first strip is anything to by, this promises to be a fucking awesome series. (Link is on the sidebar.)

Next on the agenda: It would seem i've been "tagged." Actually, this happened some time ago, but I don't actually know anything about internet culture or manners. Sorry TB, I wasn't ignoring you, I just had no idea what being tagged was. Apparently it's a bit like a blog chain letter. Ok, i'll play along.

Fore!


Four jobs I've had:

1 Office bitch for grouchy architect
2 Personal assistant to a university president
3 Lab rat
4 Plant doctor

Four movies I can watch over and over:

1 Star Wars Episodes 4-6
2 Rob Roy
3 Monty Python and the Holy Grail
4 Shine

Four places I have lived:

1 The birthplace of the Republican Party (I'm not proud of this)
2 Ivory Tower, Connecticut
3 Rich Conservative, Massachusetts
4 Industrial Slum, England

Four television shows I love to watch:

1 Star Trek: The Next Generation
2 West Wing
3 Penn & Teller's Bullshit!
4 The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
(This of course on the rare occasion that I'm actually in the presence of a TV.)

Four places I have been on vacation:

1 Queensland, Australia
2 Colorado, USA
3 Provence, France
4 Amsterdam, Netherlands

Four of my favourite dishes:

1 Kielbasa w/ potato latkis
2 Gallumpki
3 mom's lasagna
4 Thanksgiving turkey w/ cornbread stuffing, sweet potatoes, and cranberry sauce

Four websites I visit daily:

1 Comics.com
2 Bristol library resources
3 Oxford English Dictionary online
4 Dictionary.com (good thesaurus)

Four places I would rather be right now:

1 On the water in a quad scull
2 Curled up in bed with the Bs, two dogs, and a Conrad novel
3 Any place that's sunny
4 Camping in Australia

Four bloggers I am tagging:

Nah, I'd like my friends to remain my friends. If you are reading this and enjoy these sorts of things, then by all means consider yourself tagged.




Now then. That's done. The last item of the day is the VD Report. I am forced at this time to (grudgingly) admit that it didn't completely suck. In fact, it was the best VD ever. I find that I'm rather confused by all this. I've been railing against the fucking holiday for so damn long, I'm finding it difficult to show the appropriate gratitude. I guess I feel rather like Beatrice in Much Ado, who, having spent her whole life speaking against marraige, decides she must do a complete 180 in attitude when she learns that Benedict is in love with her.

The day didn't start out so hot. I received news that a dear friend (whom I've fancied for ages and he bloody well knows it), has thrown himself back into a potentially abusive relationship. So of course I'm dissapointed for myself and extremely concerned for him. Let's hope it works out ok.

Tripping on the heels of that bit of joy, however, came (brace yourself for this one, lads)...

My First Ever Actual Valentine Gift From An Honest-To-God Admirer!!!

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. Tie me to an anthill and smear my ears with jam. It was a classy one, too. This dude Ian and I met through the computer dating site thingy, and we've been emailing quite a bit. (He's the one I mentioned before, the Buddist vegetarian from Scotland.) We havn't met yet (first date tomorrow!!!!!!), but we've been chatting enough that i've actually begun thinking of him as a friend already, which is groovy. So yesterday, out of the fucking BLUE, he sends (emails) me a couple MP3 files.

Oral readings of two poems.

Love poems!

By John Donne!! The Sun Rising and Elegy 10.

I'm giving him a 10 for this one, because it was
a) totally unexpected and equally unnecessary
b) appropriate, since our relationship thus far is entirely electronic, an electronic gift is very suitable
c) thoughtful. he remembered that I like Donne, and sought out something I would enjoy
d) really romantic. (I'd rather have a poem than a box of chocolates any damn day.) Who wouldn't go weak in the knees to be told "She is all states, and all princes, I. Nothing. Else. Is." *sigh* I'm bustin' out the good jewelry for tomorrow night. I've got a good feeling about this.

5 comments:

Timorous Beastie said...

Wait a minute...something's wrong. This guy is a veggie, and not only has he heard of Donne, but he can also find his poems on the Internet? And send them to a woman? He can't be Scottish. He obviously thinks you like Scottish accents and is counting on the relationship staying cyber, so you'll never discover that he's from the home counties.

hendrix said...

yep I agree with TB. And for godsake will you start spelling his name with an extra i or a silent p or something - anything to get the name up from 3 letters. Much as I want you to find your one and only true love, I cannot be supportive fo you going out with a guy who only has 3 letters in his name. I just can't!

ZB said...

John Donne? I'm impressed. Very impressed. You have my approval. Not that you need it. If you'd said he quoted Byrons 'She walks in beautty, like the night...' (my standard move) at you then I would have said run, forrest, run. But Donne. Damn!

FirstNations said...

this is going to demand an extra special good luck charm:
http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/122205/the-jello-llama-is-coming.gif
...now you be careful. this thing is like the One Ring- you start out using it, then it ends up using YOU. and nobody wants to end up inside a volcano with a rubbery mutant gnawing on their hand.

i've been on THAT date. not pretty.

Anonymous said...

Dude, all I have to say, is YES break out the good jewlery, and YES, have a whale of a time with the cutie- The man can find John Donne with both hands! This is a definite accomplishment, and as you know, I'm for any guy that takes the time to send poetry (in general) and (in particular) poetry that you LOVE....so dude, have a wonderful time, and I'll be expecting the full report later :)