Oh my god I'm an auntie! I have just learned that my wonderful amazing most bestest friend of all time gave birth to her first ever baby. Meet Wally, just 1 day old!!! 8lbs, 10oz, 21" long. A big, pink, study little lad.
He's got toes!!! 10 of them! How cool is that! Aren't they adorable! (You'll note that's not acually a question. I'm not asking for your opinion on the adorability of Wally's toes, I'm giving it to you.)
Mother and son are doing fine.
Look at that hair! Have you ever seen a baby with so much hair in your life? This is a newborn! (Well, just look at mom, there. He comes by it honestly, that's fo sho.)
Wally (Big Wally, the father) and Vi have been waiting for this for a long time. Well, ok, only the usual 9 months, but it took rather a lot of effort to get to that point. They're going to make great parents. If I ever have kids, they will so be the godparents.
Sadly for me, Wally and Vi (and now L'il Wally!) live back in the states. I'm gutted that I missed the birth. Since receiving the news I've been alternating between weeping with joy for my friends and bawling with sorrow that I'm missing celebrating this with them. I'm going home in a month to visit, but I want to be there now now now! It kills me to think that I'll miss seeing him grow up. I get to be the crazy eccentric aunt, but how often? Will he even know me? I want to be a part of this kid's life. I don't just want to be some goofy half-relative that pops in for a day or two a year and gives him books that he'll never read.
This weekend I'm putting together a mix CD to send to Wally and Vi, aka mom and dad (!!!). I want to pick songs that evoke the feelings they have for their new son. It's not easy. Here's the list so far:
1. For Unto Us A Child Is Born, The Roches
2. Baby I Love You, The Ronettes
3. (Everything I Do) I Do For You, Bryan Adams
4. You're a Wonderful One, Art Garfunkel
5. Heaven Is A Place On Earth, Belinda Carslile
6. Lean On Me, Bill Withers
7. Baby Baby, Amy Grant
8. The Air That I Breathe, The Hollies
9. Have I Told You Lately, Rod Stewart
10. Good Morning Starshine, Oliver
11. From Me to You, The Beatles
12. Sunshine On My Shoulders, John Denver
13. Reach Out, The Four Tops
14. Rhythm of Life, Diana Ross
15. Bridge Over Troubled Water, Simon and Garfunkel (I don't think I've ever created a mix playlist that didn't include Simon and Garfunkel somewhere.)
16. Rock Me Gently, Ron Dante
17. Be My Baby, The Ronettes
18. I'll Be There, Jackson 5
19. Benediction, Toni Nation
20. Day Is Done, Peter Paul & Mary
Any suggestions? Love songs are good, but I don't want any that are specifically directed at a female, or are blatantly about sexual relationships. A lot of stuff that hints at sex can be intepreted in numerous ways, so as long as there's a reasonable platonic/parental reading, that's cool.
*Yeah, that's a bit over the top, but it will make Vi laugh her pants off.