Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Riding in boats with boys, part II

I said it would happen, and it finally did. This afternoon the senior women's 8 consisted of me and 7 blokes. I suppose you could say I was just filling in for the missing bowman in the senior men's B boat, but the fact is that i was the only woman at practice, so... they needed a man, i needed a team (and a man, but i didn't tell them that), ergo the obvious solution. We had fun beasting it down the river with the senior A boat chasing us. Held them off for the first 4 k, too. The overtook us on the straight, though. I was bummed. I really wanted to win so i could taunt them for being beaten by a girl. We'll get 'em next time, fellas, next time.

2 comments:

GreatSheElephant said...

Why not tell them 'that'? Standard date finding advice is to take up a sport to meet men, after all.

Moominmama said...

You don't know many rowers, do you? There are more than a few blokes on the men's side I wouldn't mind spending more time with, but one of the inherent and almost universal personality quirks of giant male rowers is that they only date women under 5'4" (coxwain-sized, if not an actual coxwain). This has to do with giant male rowers being teddy bear-like insecure fuckwads, hence the need to date something with a napolean complex as well as a pair of tits. I've been in this sport for 8 years, and I've never once been hit on/approached by a fellow oarsman. Go figure.