Thursday, February 02, 2006

The perils of social interaction

This photo was taken earlier this week in Boyne, Michigan by a friend of my pater. I love how the eagle is totally amazed to see his lunch waddling cheerfully toward him over the ice. Apparently Ma Nature is into handing out Darwin Awards to naive, unsuspecting, aquatic mammals in the form of hungry, majestic raptors. (I mean, the lake is frozen after all. We can't blame him for feeling a bit peckish. Get it? Peckish? He's a bird...! ah, never mind.)


This is totally unrelated, but did anyone else notice that when I updated my sidebar this morning I managed to include a lot more procrastination tools than friends? It would seem that I need to spend a LOT less time in front of the ol' 'puter surfing the interweb, and a bit more time interacting with, say, actual people. Of course, if that poor otter had stayed home in front of his computer instead of venturing out to make friends, he might still be alive today. Hmm. There's a lesson in that.

10 comments:

FirstNations said...

eagles look ferocious but they're all show. this one was probably being served a summons to appear by the otter.
woo hoo! toys in babeland!

Moominmama said...

what an appropriate symbol for the United States...

Anonymous said...

Hey, do we have to be bloggers to make the friends list? Cuz otherwise I must qualify... I am a friendly sort, and often doing imaginary things.... like running America (which amazingly I do better than Dubya- whoda thunk it?- well me, actually) So I think there are more names that you should put up there to make the list happier :-D I can think of several....

Moominmama said...

actually, i have lots of friends who aren't on that list. technically it's a list of blogs that i visit regularly, the writers of which have become... e-friends? (god, what an awful word. i hope it doesn't catch on.) with one notable exception, i've never actually MET any of the people listed there, and my interraction with them is conducted completely in the surreal half-world of cyberspace, hence the 'imaginary' bit. i've never seen them. they're not real. there is no spoon.

ZB said...

If it's an otter, then my money is on the otter. They're hard as nails and fast as fuck. And I know it's fictional but it took a pack of otter hounds days to bring Tarka down. And yes, I cried.

Moominmama said...

in that case i'll be relieving you of that money now. since i know the guy who took the photo, i also happen to know the outcome of the match - eagle:1, otter:0. how much did you wager, say, 100 quid?

ZB said...

It's obviously an American otter than and incapable of winning the wars its starts. If it had been an English otter, that Eagle would have been toast.

Bets are off. Nationality was not disclosed.

Moominmama said...

Oh contraire, contrairist. Nationality WAS disclosed. I refer you to the original text which stated: "this photograph was taken in Boyne, Michigan." So unless that otter had a passport (unlike some people i could mention), it was blatantly an american otter. Pay up, bucko.

ZB said...

I'm lexdysic.

ZB said...

I'm lexdysic.

Anyway, I owe you 100 quid as it is...what are you trying to do? Bankrupt the Englishman? You people have previous for it you know!