Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Self-service station

I've been thinking a lot lately about the whole violent reaction to the cartoons of Muhammed. I was going to blog about it, too, but I live under a rock (read: university), and I'm already sick of it. It's been on the news, the airwaves, etc, and frankly, it's all been said by more succinct wits than me. All I will say on the matter is this: Hey members of the Islamic faith! If you want the rest of the world to stop stereotyping you as violent reactionaries, stop having violent reactions to meaningless shit! You're seriously not helping your cause.

Good. That's said. Now on to more important matters. I got recruited by the university basketball team today. Granted I was holding my own on a court full of blokes, but still, I wasn't even allowed to try out for basketball when I was in high school! British basketball must be in a sorry state. Apparently it's full of American b-ball rejects. Still, feather in my cap, no?

5 comments:

FirstNations said...

fundamentalism of any kind is a plague. thoughtless of the dane, though; imagine the same secular contempt shown in an international venue for Jesus Christ. How the nutbags would howl!

ZB said...

Ah, you're thinking of Jesus Christ Superstar then? Lloyd Webber has a lot to answer for. Sarah Brightman for one.

British Basketball is a contradiction in terms and I stopped being interested in American basketball since Jordan stopped defying gravity. Man, he could play.

Moominmama said...

Superstar is a good example, but the Buddy Christ at the beginning of "Dogma" is an even better one. That was a full-scale, life-sized, crayon-coloured, PLASTIC charicature of JC, and I don't remember riots breaking out in Iowa because of it.

Moominmama said...

By the way, FN, i should warn you that this blog does turn political every now and again. Your thoughts and opinions are, of course, always welcome.

FirstNations said...

really? gosh; i hadn't noticed.