Thursday, March 30, 2006

almost profound

last night i had a great conversation with barnacle,* on whether or not there existed such a thing as a Universal Morality, that is, a law or set of laws which govern behavior and dictate the right course in every given situation in this universe. (Other universes have their own universal moralities, naturally.) I began the conversation with the notion that barnacle is full of crap, but ended up conceding he may or may not be right; there's just no way to prove it one way or the other. I intended to record some of the highlights of the conversation here for your enjoyment (yeah right) and enlightenment.

But i'm not going to.

Instead, i'm going to bitch about my bicycle some more. I won't go into details because i can't be bothered to type it all out, but the short short short version is that the shop around the corner was supposed to have the parts in last 2 weeks ago, install them last week, and charge me a total of about 25 pounds. Today they were telling me they can't get all the parts in until NEXT week, they'll do the work the week after, and it will cost me upwards of 60 pounds.

I am NOT happy about this.

And before you seriously underestimate my balls and overestimate my gullibility, let me just state right now for the record that i already told them where they can go.

The bike is less than a year old, so i called the company from which i purchased it, told them the problem, they said they could send me the parts at cost (18 pounds). Cool. Then i went to a different bike shop and asked how much they would charge to install the new parts (which will be here in less than 48 hours, shipping included). They said 5, maybe 10. I said "you'e hired."

Unfortunately the soonest they could schedule me in is Wednesday the 12th of april, but i'm leaving for italy next tuesday and won't be back until the 11th anyway, so it doesn't really matter. It just means that barnacle can't use my bike while i'm gone. Just as well; i'd probably never get him off it.


*so known because when he latches on to an idea there's just no shaking him from it

6 comments:

Sid said...

He has a friend called SpongeBob and another called Patrick.
You know it's true...
Sounds good. Where in Etie you off to? Read Spike Milligan's 'Mussolini, My Part in His Downfall.' Actually, just read his war memoirs. They're absolutely fuckin' hilarious. Hairy might have read them, he seems the type.

Moominmama said...

going to Baloney for a week to row my ass off. literally. i'm hoping to shed a few extra pounds on this training camp.

hendrix said...

The war memoirs are brilliant!!! So glad I've found someone else who loves them too...they're one of my reread and reread and reread books..

glad you got your bike sorted...but you have a man. Why is he not fixing it while you're away?

Moominmama said...

ok, 2 recommendations means i check it out of the library. will do.

man is not fixing bike because man has not offered to fix bike. perhaps i will drop some boulder-sized hints this weekend...

hendrix said...

Hints don;t work What you have to say is "no more nookie till you fix my bike"

apologies for the word "nookie" I'm typing this on my work computer - please insert a word that is more in keeping with the rest of the sentence.

ZB said...

a) on whether or not there existed such a thing as a Universal Morality, that is, a law or set of laws which govern behavior and dictate the right course in every given situation in this universe -

No. There isn't.

b) Spike Milligan's War Memoirs - possibly the finest war memoir ever. Certainly the finest of the second world war.

c) No more nookie? Fuck me...

Metaphorically.