Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I can has family?

Here he is! Isn't he handsome?


(If a bit scary.)


Hello, small predator!


Aww, look at his widdle white socks!

Now the question is what to name him. The options are:

1. Fred. This is the name the shelter gave him and, though not terribly original, I was thinking of him as "Fred" in my mind for the whole week before we actually brought him home, so we're already kind of used to it. Also, it's pleasant and domestic and kind of suits him. (He's a cuddle slut.)

2. Pai Mei. This dude. He's the bad-ass martial arts guru from Kill Bill. The Furball is not a badass, but he kind of looks it with his narrow eyes and white goatee. We'd probably call him "Pie" on a day-to-day basis, and that has pleasant pudding conotations. Also it kind of ties in with "Pirate." He'd be the Pai-cat. A Pi-rat and a Pai-cat! Brilliant! (I may have just talked myself into this one.)

3. Clawdius. You can't really see it in these photos, but he has white toes with brown outlines that form these little Roman arches across his feet. Like little aquaducts. So we thought a Roman name might be appropriate. Pirate thought of the pun with the spelling.

4. Toast. He looks like badly burnt toast. 'Nuff said.

5. Thornton. Because he's chocolate brown and Hershey and Nestle are totally unorigina. Ditto Cadbury. And Lindt is just too posh.


Go vote. We won't pay the slightest bit of attention to the results, mind. Your opinions are purely for my amusement.



16 comments:

Anonymous said...

He IS cute :)

I vote for Clawdius.

Wandering Wynie said...

"I can has world domination from this armchair?"
"Yes Oh As-yet-unnamed One, you can!"

Annie said...

I voted Toast just because it's cute and it's important to give your pet a name that you can add an "ee" sound onto the end.

For example: Toastie, Freddie, Clawdiusie etc.

Rog said...

Oz thought he should be toast but don't take any notice.

I like the white beard - very distinctive.

GreatSheElephant said...

aww - he's stunning. Is he a snowshoe?

GreatSheElephant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie said...

Awwwww... he does look like Pai Mei.

Valerie said...

He's gorgeous!! congratulations :-)

I like "Pai Mei" meself...

But he'll be just as cute no matter what!

Moominmama said...

Can anyone else see the polling widget I embedded at the end of the post? I created a poll for the cat's name, but when I view the blog the widget's not there. Grrr.

GreatSheElephant said...

it's there but it's not working because it's showing each name at 0%. I couldn't get it to take my vote (for Fred)

Anonymous said...

He's a beauty! and the voting thing is working - I just voted for Thornton, not because of the chocolate though, he just looked as if he needed a name that could have Prof. before it!

grapecat said...

Genghis cat?

Anonymous said...

I was torn - I wanted to vote for two- I love the Pie-cat, Pie-rate combo, but I think he really looks like a Thornton...could be me though.

Why not try calling him by each name for a day (or a shorter time segment, like an hour at a time) and see which one feels most right. Or....that might be a little too new age.

The voting worked when I did it- Thornton was in the lead at 67%. :)

He is a gorgeous kitty whatever name he ends up with. I'm sure he's happy to have such a great family :)

Andrew said...

Great options for names, I spent far longer than is strictly sensible thinking about it before finally plumping for Pai Mei (simply because he's cool) in your poll.

Timorous Beastie said...

I defy your poll by voting for Cheese Pie. I once met a dog in Cuba called Cheese Pie. I suspect it wasn't spelled that way, but it sounded to my uneducated, non-Spanish ears like Cheese Pie and I've wanted an animal called that myself ever since. You can abbreviate to Cheesy, Squeezy, or even Pie-bag or Pie-rat if you wish.

Valerie said...

I definitely can't see the polling widget from my Mac in either Firefox or Safari :-(